Zürich, 18 September 2022
This year, the Swiss Blockchain Hackathon (SBHACK) partnered up with Europe's largest Hackathon – HackZurich – for the first time and made its contribution to two Blockchain challenges. The SBHACK at HackZurich was carried out by a consortium consisting of the Swiss Blockchain Federation, Trust Square, CVVC, CV Labs, SUPSI, and HSLU and held as part of the NTN Innovation Booster Blockchain Nation Switzerland. The NTN Innovation Booster program is powered by Innosuisse.
Due to the partnership between Swiss Blockchain Hackathon and HackZurich, hackers had the opportunity to solve two blockchain-related challenges. The Swiss Blockchain Hackathon's technology partners Casper and Velas each provided the technological backbone for one of the two following challenges:
- 'Consumer-oriented Utility Token' with Casper, working on use cases from AXA or Airport Zurich challenge that target tokens usage for end consumers
- 'NFT Data and Information Exploration' with Velas, focussing on use cases from Siemens for NFT energy consumption and Richemont for fake Token/NFT detection
Hackers were supported throughout the Swiss Blockchain Hackathon by the organizers from Trust Square, technology, business, and experts from academia, protocols, challenge partners, and external associates. It was therefore ensured that the submitted projects could meet the need of the blockchain protocols and industry partners and could come from proof of concept to viable projects into the next step.
By representing SBHACK Jose Aguinaga, Director at SBHACK's Gold Partner SEBA Bank, addressed more than 500 attendees during the opening ceremony with a thrilling and motivating speech.
We witnessed an important step of blockchain technology integration into the general technology landscape by working on eye level and side-by-side with the traditional technology providers. Positioning protocols and the consortium partners at the forefront of Swiss innovation and the direct exposure to 1500 current and future IT experts, the Hackathon proved another fact:
The protocols and hackers showed that real-world use cases can be solved by the use and leverage of blockchain technology. We aim to support the ideas and solutions generated in this Hackathon through various funding opportunities.
The winners of #SBHACK22 were announced Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 2 pm CET.
SBHACK winner overview
HackZurich overall awards
Traveler identification done fast and securely.
Flidless effectively eliminates the need for multiple custom & boarding pass checks - by confirming a match of the passenger's personal data with their flight details, using a Zero-Knowledge Proof of Identity.
Casper challenge - 'Consumer-oriented Utility Token'
A Social Rewards Platform
Quasar is a Social Rewards Platform that is supported by an impact token to incentivize positive behavior in day-to-day life activities.
Healthcare is put at forefront of our product, whenever one visits our partnering gyms, swimming pool, activities arcades, or hiking spots, with just a cellphone one can collect NFTs related to the activities done.
Other great submissions:
An impact token and a platform to improve positive societal behavior and reward healthy and responsible behavior towards people.
The participating people in this ecosystem can collect tokens for commitments toward themselves, the community, and the environment.
Velas challenge - 'NFT data and information exploration'
1st price (two winners)
VELASiraptors - NFT origin validator tool
You found an NFT to buy but you are unsure about the creator?
Use our Validation Tool, based on the Token-holders of a DAO, and purchase the authentication Token for a small fee.
WalletExplorer is a user-friendly mobile app, that enables users with or without crypto wallets to interact with different Blockchains. Users will be able to query information from Ethereum, Velas, Polygon, Binance about NFT transactions made from their or other addresses.
Other great submissions:
Time for Chainge
This visualizer provides the essential information to make informed decisions about the carbon footprint of transaction of on-chain data for the Velas blockchain and the popular alternative, Ethereum.
SBHACK22 at HackZurich at a glance
Date: 16-18 September 2022
Location: Technopark in Zurich, Switzerland
Organizers: HackZurich, Trust Square AG, Innovation Booster Blockchain Nation Switzerland powered by Innosuisse
SBHACK Gold Partner: SEBA Bank
Industry & Challenge Partners: AXA, Zurich Airport, Siemens, Richemont
Platform Partners: Casper Association, Velas
On-site Partner: NoBank
Academic Partners: SUPSI, USI, ZHAW, UZH Blockchain Center, HSLU
Media contact Trust Square & Swiss Blockchain Hackathon:
Trust Square AG
+41 78 695 02 44
Media contact Blockchain Nation Switzerland:
Swiss Blockchain Federation
+41 78 895 72 11
- Founded in 2014, HackZurich rapidly became Europe's largest and most prestigious Hackathon. Every year, 600 international participants are invited to Zurich. Since 2020, they are joined by as many participating remotely from around the world in a first of its kind hybrid setup. Participants are selected from a global pool of over 5500 applications, representing several elite universities from more than 85 countries. Together these tech talents develop highly innovative web-, mobile- and hardware applications during a 40-hour hackathon in teams of 2 to 4 people. International companies and organizations of different industries provide participants with hardware, brand new technologies, tools, datasets, and APIs to spark the creation of new prototypes.
- HackZurich represents a unique opportunity to touch base with new technologies, innovation opportunities and a selection of the world's best tech talents. The focus at HackZurich is firmly on fun, exchanging knowledge, and the unique atmosphere and opportunities for mutual learning and inspiration.
About Trust Square:
- Trust Square is an eco-system, positioned at the very heart of Switzerland's blockchain and deep-tech scene. Trust Square's co-working offices provide a physical space for innovation and exchange, our events inspire and educate, and the holistic service portfolio allows ventures of all sizes to succeed.
Since 2018, Trust Square has hosted more than 400 events, from panels and talks with industry experts to think tanks, hackathons, and tech conferences. With the Swiss Blockchain Hackathons (SBHack) over the past years Trust Square attracted more than 500 hackers from all over the world.
- Trust Square has provided office space to more than 80 blockchain companies, among them Cardano, B3i, Neo, Sygnum, flov technologies, Procivis, Verum Capital, Blockchain Valley Ventures, Bittrex and Consensys. The hub works closely with ETH Zurich, the universities of Zurich, Basel, Lucerne and St. Gallen, the Rapperswil University of Applied Sciences and Arts, the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, the Frankfurt School Blockchain Center, and Zurich's location development agency.
About Blockchain Nation Switzerland:
- Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) represents a revolutionary and disruptive approach for business, science and society and offers numerous application possibilities. Switzerland recognized this potential early on and has established itself as one of the world's most attractive locations for the blockchain industry under the name Crypto Valley. In 2021, Switzerland introduced new legislation that is among the most innovation friendly DLT regulations in the world.
- The NTN Innovation Booster - Blockchain Nation Switzerland builds on this spirit of optimism and euphoria. Since the so-called Crypto Valley has gradually spread beyond its original epicenter of Zug to the whole of Switzerland and even beyond, this programme combines existing initiatives with organizations and individuals who want to become active in the field of blockchain technology. True to its nationwide activities over the past years, the Swiss Blockchain Federation is now entering a new dimension by actively promoting innovation.
- Gold Partner: SEBA Bank
- Innosuisse is the Swiss Innovation Agency. Innosuisse's mission is to promote science-based innovation in the interest of business and society. The NTN Innovation Booster funding instrument brings together interested teams from universities, businesses, and community around an innovation topic at a national level. It stimulates the testing of concrete innovation ideas. Innosuisse is supporting 18 NTN Innovation Boosters with a focus on a broad range of different topics.